We envision a world where digital technology and intelligent design have been harnessed to create smart, sustainable cities with high-quality living and high-quality jobs. To tap into the transformative power of smart technologies, cities need a trusted, neutral advisor. The Smart Cities Council provides that help. We are a network of leading companies advised by top universities, laboratories and standards bodies.
We promote cities that embody our three core values:
- Livability: Cities that provide clean, healthy living conditions without pollution and congestion. With a digital infrastructure that makes city services instantly and conveniently available anytime, anywhere.
- Workability: Cities that provide the enabling infrastructure — energy, connectivity, computing, essential services — to compete globally for high-quality jobs.
- Sustainability: Cities that provide services without stealing from future generations.
We help cities become smarter through a combination of advocacy and action:
- Readiness Guides: High-level models and metrics against which cities can measure their progress. Our Readiness Guides answer the questions "Where does our city rank now?" and "What should we work on first?"
- Financing templates and case studies: Guidance for new financing models now emerging, some of which combine public, private, philanthropic and development sources.
- Policy frameworks and case studies: Examples of policies that promote economic development while also safeguarding citizens.
- Visibility campaigns: Coordinated, joined-voices initiatives to help citizens understand that smart cities represent a path to a better future. These campaigns include awards, events, publishing and research.
- Regional networking events: High-level, invitation-only events where cities and their citizens can learn directly from some of the world's top experts in the many disciplines that combine to create a smart city.
Learn more and follow our efforts by subscribing to our free newsletter.